Saturday, February 19, 2005

There is pleasure in the pathless woods

I am flying back to Kuwait tonight. I was here in Amman for five days.I will be back in Amman for the next project. I love this place...and the people too…I felt like I was in my native country...more like in Bangalore…

On Thursday I went sight seeing with a few friends…To the downtown area, which nestles between hills….Hashemite Square…The Roman Amphitheatre (built by Antoninus Pius – one of the five good Roman Emperors)…and faraway on the mountain, The Temple of Hercules (built during the reign of Marcus Aurelius –also numbered among “five good Roman Emperors- author of “Meditations”,Stoic philosopher) …I did take some photos. It was evening and I have to see whether it will come out fine. It never came to my mind that Jordan was a part of ancient Greek then later Roman Empire… It was only when my friend told “we are going to see the Roman Amphitheater”, that I suddenly recalled my History lessons! And I was standing there, where long time back the roman soldiers used to march, Roman and Greek nobles used to walk or were carried by slaves.…That was an awesome feeling…! By the way Amman was called Philadelphia during Roman rule.

Had Jordanian native meal, mansaf. rice with lamb and garnished with almonds.Tasty. The day before I went to a chinese restaurant.I was the only customer.But the food was OK. Should remeber that they add tax to the menu price.I did see a few Indian restaurants,but didn't try out any.Why should I go all the way to Jordan,to have Indain food?

I couldn’t go to Petra, Jaresh and Dead Sea. I will surely visit those places during my next trip. Petra is almost 300 kms from Amman.

Traveling alone is always boring for me. Luckily I had made a few friends during my last visit to Amman. And I didn’t get “sloshed” this time too :-(

And I saw a few movies on the telly. Bridges of Madison County starring Clint Eastwood and Meryl Streep.That was an awesome movie. Really did touch me. I could perfectly relate to the characters, the love, the pain and the dilemma. Let’s say that, drawing parallel to my life helped me relate to that movie. My role would have been Francesca’s husband, but in my case, my wife left me. (That sure does put me in bad light!).Back to the movie .Francesca’s story, read by her grownup children, touches them too and they take stock of their life and start working on their marriage. That was great! The film was directed by Clint Eastwood. Both Meryl and Clint acted so well that I got so involved in the movie. Yes, it is always better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all!


“In a world full of ambiguity, a certainty like this comes but once in a lifetime” - Clint Eastwood to Meryl Streep in Bridges of Madison County.



The second movie was “Breaking Up”. Still didn’t get why Russell Crowe and Salma Hayek had to breakup. And in the end when they both meet after a year or so, they regret what they threw away. But they cannot undo what they have done. An O.K. film.

It’s so easy to put an end to a relationship.Just walk away.That’s it.But think about the amount of work you put to start a relationship,sustain the relation…

Have to buy chocolates for my colleagues and friends.Have to finish one more film roll.

And here is the part of the poem,by Lord Byron, used in the movie Bridges Of Madison County:



There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society, where none intrudes,
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more,
From these our interviews, in which I steal
From all I may be, or have been before,
To mingle with the Universe, and feel
What I can ne'er express, yet cannot all conceal.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really a touchin movie. wasnt it ???
I bought my own DVD the next day , after seeing the movie.

esvee said...

@Mathu

Sure it is...one of my fav movies...take care

Post a Comment