Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Amman,Jordan

I am in Amman,Jordan.This is my second visit to this beautiful country.And the people are
nice too..And when they come to know that I am an Indian,they become more friendly.They talk about Hindi cinema,Indira Gandhi,Rajiv Gandhi,Amitabh Bachan...and Amjad Khan.

I landed here two days back,on Valentine's Day.The immigration had a little problem with my
name spelled differently in Arabic.It was cleared up.Unfortunately the hotel I booked into had no airport pickup.I took a white cab outside the airport to Amman,which is almost 15kms distant from the airport.These white cabs run on fixed rates.Airport to Amman is 16 Jordanian
Dinars(JD).After checking in at the hotel,was too tired for anything else other than a quick
shower and sleep.

Moving around the city is not a problem at all.Yellow cabs are plenty and you pay the fare
according to the taximeter.Last week it was snowing here.I missed it.Hope it will snow while
i am here.The last time i was here in Jordan,I forgot to carry my camera along.This time i
hope to take some pics,if time permits.

The weather is cold here.Today is day 3 in Amman.Yesterday night i ventured out to explore
the city,with two friends.I didn't go to any watering holes..maybe today or tomorrow.....I
am having chicken shawarma for lunch and for supper.Though i must say they are very
tasty,one gets fed up with the same food.By the way, the place i take chicken shawarma is
"Daiya" restaurant,at Abdoun circle.Always crowded.I guess there are other items on the
menu,but my absolute zilch knowledge of Arabic makes me hesitate to order.Maybe i should
take a risk.I haven't yet tasted the Jordanian native cuisine.Tomorrow is kept aside for
that.Yesterday,though, i did have "Kunafa"- a sweet which is made of white cheese-very
sweet.

Let us see what tonight brings to me....

0 comments:

Post a Comment